Marching Band Preseason training (AKA Band Camp) is only weeks away!
Full Pre-Season Training attendance is mandatory for receiving a spot in the competition/half-time show. Success begins with good fundamentals and this usually means a successful season. Marching Band provides an opportunity for the younger players to perform with the more experienced students and promotes faster progression since students who are in marching band receive more fundamental instruction and playing time than those not. The improvement over three months’ time is truly amazing to see. The best students in the W.T. Woodson Band program come from the marching band because they have learned discipline, team spirit and most of all, commitment.
Dates: See the Schedules/Itineraries column for detailed dates and times:
What to bring:
- 1 Gallon insulated water jug (Important!!!) All students are required to bring their own water. This will help water breaks go faster and save on cups. You can of course fill up you water container at lunch time (Avoid clear plastic containers as the sun penetrates the container and heats up the water, minimize the ice inside the water as well)
- Shorts and sneakers – if you arrive in long pants, bathing suits or flip flops, you will be sent home to change
- Bookbag (separate from your school bookbag; doesn’t need to be as big)
- 1” Binder and around 30 sheet protectors for music, warm ups, etc.
- Pencils for marking music, completing dot books
- Lyre for holding pep tunes (we provide the flip folder)
- Spiral bound 3”X5” index cards (for everyone but pit percussion)
- 1 plastic garbage bag (to cover your bag if it rains)
- 1 Small “fanny pack” to store your dotbook, breathing tube, pencil, etc.
- Sunscreen, SPF 35 or greater.
- Hat that will provide shade for your face (sun-burned lips are painful!)
- Sunglasses (optional but recommended)
- Your Music! (we will only have limited copies)
- Bag lunch for Week 1 and Week 2 (students may not leave campus for lunch)
- Eat breakfast! This is important!
- Transportation: Email Mr. Morgan if you have transportation problems and we will send you a list of available carpools.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day, not soda. Bring your own water!!!
- Follow directions! This will make life simpler for everyone.
- If you need to check out an instrument for the fall, this should be done before camp starts. Call the band office and leave a message (703-503-4665) and we will help you.
- Turn in your paperwork and fees on time or you may not be guaranteed a permanent spot.
- Please do not put doctor appointments or anything else during this time. It is crucial that everyone be in attendance. Any questions or conflicts please call immediately (703-503-4665)